Jeseníky Mountains have always been a popular tourist destination, with its dominant the Praděd mount (1,492 metres above the sea level). Since the beginning of the nineteenth century there was a shed on the top of Praděd, which was used as a shelter in a case of bad weather. Later on, the tourists have built a simple building there, which was not soon big enough for the increasing number of visitors.
So the plans for a view tower and a mountain cottage were made. The view tower (at the time called " a watch tower") is mentioned for the first time in a request of Moravian-Silesian-Sudeten mountain tourist association in town Jeseník in 1903. The tower was build of the local Table Rocks.
The final inspection of the premises was in July 1912.
The tower was massive building made of stone blocks that was reminding middle age watch- tower. This similarity was emphasized by the battlement, pylons and deep windows in the thick walls.
There was a restaurant on the ground floor and above it there was an accommodation. On the top of the tower there was a viewing platform.
Right by the tower a log cabin was built serving as a refreshment place. However the tower was never accommodated, because not long after its opening it was stated that the building will not last very long because of the unfortunate choice of material and the local climatic conditions.
In 1929 the first reconstruction started and during the First World War was the tower closed. With a technical development Praděd re-opened.
In 1962 the management of telecommunications in Prague asked for the zoning decision the town of Bruntál and they got it the same year. The building was officially called: Issue of frequency modulated television and ultra-shortwave transmitter Praděd. It was built by ninety-four involved organizations. The construction was started by building of the asphalt road from Ovčárna. The base of the transmitter was laid in 1969 and it started to work in 1980. Because of the harsh climate it was possible to build only five to six month a year.
The unique tower is 1062 meters high, there are two viewing platforms in nineteen and in seventy meters.
From the heel of the tower separates three wings. One serves for the energetic, one for the telecommunication connections and one is for the visitors.
The whole place connects architectural, urban, technical, operating and dispositional solution with surrounding nature so it has become the inseparable part of Praděd and Jeseníky.